Turning on the water faucet in your home and having tasty, beneficial water come out ought to be a given. However, due to the nature of water in the Lehigh Valley, which stretches from Easton to Bethlehem, the water is not always as good as it could be for you and your family. Water comes to homes from a variety of sources via the water authorities 5 water sources and privately dug wells.
Sometimes through no fault of the Lehigh Water Authority, contaminants get into the water supply through the pipes in the home. One of these contaminants is lead. Lead in your pipes can mean lead in your water supply. Having a variety of items, including a lead service line, copper plumbing or brass fixtures can all be conduits for lead in your water. According to the EPA, the maximum contaminant level goal for lead in drinking water at zero because lead is a toxic metal that can be harmful to human health even at low exposure levels (epa.gov 2020).
Other water contaminants:
- High iron content - In the Lehigh Valley iron in the water is noted as orange-brown stains in sinks, toilets, and appliances.
- Manganese - can affect water systems as water has been in contact with rock for an extended period.
- These two minerals often occur together in privately dug wells, as they both leach from the rock.
- Water tainted with high levels of iron can cause skin problems and have negative impacts on your health.
- There have been cases of small bacteria which feed off the iron that can be harmful if digested.
Sulfur, on the other hand, is noticeable from its signature rotten egg smell. This can happen in some deeply dug wells. This foul-smelling gas is created via oil deposits and decaying plants beneath the earth’s surface. While hydrogen sulfide does not harm you directly, it can cause diarrhea, dehydration, or nausea. This should be tested by a professional and resolved.
Whether from a private well or a municipal water facility, contaminants can enter your water supply. Testing your water on a yearly basis is recommended.
The professionals at Spring Rain Ultra Pure Water can assist and advise you on different filtration systems which can filter out lead, iron, and manganese from your water supply as these can be harmful to your family and your home appliances. Leaving you to enjoy contaminant-free refreshing water.